Monday, October 15, 2012

Nineties Blogfest: TV and Music

When I first read about the Nineties Blogfest, I wanted to sign up but just wasn't sure I'd have the time. I also couldn't make up my mind about how I wanted to approach each year in the challenge. I finally signed up last night and then decided on a theme.

For the Nineties Blogfest, participants were challenged to write about their favorite things from each year in the 1990s. I narrowed my choices down to music and television.

1990 - I was hooked on Twin Peaks from its first episode, and not just because I wanted to know who killed Laura Palmer. From Kyle MacLachlan's quirky portrayal of Special Agent Dale Cooper to Julee Cruise's musical perfomances at the roadhouse, Twin Peaks was the show to watch.

1991 - Queensryche's "Silent Lucidity" hit number 1 on Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks after its release the previous year.

1992 - Metallica released "Nothing Else Matters." A live version was released a few years later in 1999.

1993 - Warren Zevon's Learning to Flinch was released. This is a live solo acoustic album that was recorded at various locations.

1994 - Friends premiered in 1994, and it had a lot of memorable moments and catchphrases. "You are a strong, confident woman," "We were on a break," boyfriend bonfires, and Joey as Dr. Drake Ramoray on Days of Our Lives are just a few of my favorites.

1995 - Nowhere Man had a short run that left fans wanting so much more. With only one season lasting 25 episodes, the show took us through Thomas Veil's quest to learn who he really was and why his identity had been erased.

1996 - Pink Floyd was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

1997 - Buffy the Vampire Slayer became one of my all-time favorite shows. I never missed an episode and have actually seen them all numerous times over the years. My favorite episode? It's hard to say, but "Hush" is definitely in the running.

1998 - Journey released their Greatest Hits Live album, which was a compilation of songs from Infinity through Frontiers, when Steve Perry was still the frontman.

1999 - I can't mention Buffy the Vampire Slayer without also including Angel, another show I've seen many, many times over the years. One of my favorite things about Angel was the character development of Wesley. I also enjoyed Andy Hallett as Lorne.

Thanks to Dave for hosting this challenge. Be sure to check out what the other participants said about the 1990s!

11 comments:

Dave said...

You can't go wrong with Buffy and Angel.

Thank you for taking part in the blogfest.

Dave
Dave Wrote This

Budd said...

Buffy and Metallica, Awesome! hope you plan on signing up for the Scare Me! Blogfest.

Budd said...

Buffy and Metallica, Awesome! hope you plan on signing up for the Scare Me! Blogfest.

Philip J Reed said...

Learning to Flinch is a great album...nice job, I wasn't sure many folks were into that one! The only thing bad about it is that the mixing feels "off" sometimes, with the vocals way too far back in the recording. That probably couldn't be helped, though.

And it has Worrier King, which is brilliant. And the once-in-a-lifetime expanded version of Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner. Truly great stuff.

dolorah said...

You have some of my favs here: Buffy, Angel, Metalica. And Pink Floyd. Man, I could just live in the past here :)

.......dhole

Brent Wescott said...

I missed Twin Peaks the first time around. Recently watched the whole series on Netflix, but didn't think it held up well. The first few episodes were intriguing, but then the soap opera elements took over, leaving poor Agent Cooper to flounder around for no reason. Still, you can't say it wasn't a watershed television show.

Eliza Wynn said...

Dave - Thanks for hosting!

Budd - I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Philip - I think "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" is one of his best.

Donna - Sounds like we have quite a few in common!

Brent - The soapiness didn't bother me, maybe because I've pretty much always watched soap operas.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, we have a lot of overlap in taste! A few we both mentioned, but I like almost all the stuff you've got here!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Queensryche and Metallica? Oh you rock!!
Now we just have to get Rush into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Eliza Wynn said...

Hart - I noticed the same thing about your post!

Alex - I think they'll eventually get there.

Anonymous said...

You mentioned fantastic shows.

I somehow missed Twin Peaks, though. Maybe I can catch it online.